ASU ROTC Gallery of Distinguished Alumni Nomination and Selection Process
1. General. On August 15, 1998 the Cadre of Appalachian State University ROTC approved the establishment of an Army ROTC Distinguished Alumni Board. The purpose of the board is to honor those who were enrolled in ROTC at ASU and have distinguished careers that brought credit upon themselves and the University.
2. Criteria for Selection. Honorees can be from any component (Active Duty, Guard or Reserve). The primary candidates will be those who have been recognized for Valor via Soldier’s medal or Silver Star and above. Prime candidates are also those who have served with distinction at the grade of Colonel and above and have commanded honorably at the Brigade level or higher.
3. Board Composition. The Professor of Military Science will be the presiding officer. The selection board will consist of at least four of the following five members.
- The PMS
- One Cadre member
- One University employee
- One ASU ROTC Alumni of any year and of any component
- One ASU ROTC Alumni who is on Active Duty or a drilling Guard or Reserve Member
4. Procedures. Any ASU ROTC Alumni or Cadre member can nominate an alumnus who meets the criteria listed above. Nominations are collected on the fiscal year basis with the annual deadline being 30 September. The board will be convened in October prior to Homecoming. Nominations will be submitted in the form of a military biography, a cover letter stating why the individual should be honored and one other letter of endorsement. The board is not limited on the number of nominations it votes on or approves. Once the board approves a nomination the PMS will notify the awardee and coordination will be made for a ceremony of induction. If at all possible it will be done at homecoming but can be done whenever the distinguished alumni is available (Dining In/Out, Commissioning ceremony, Lab.. etc)
Send nominations to DJ Weatherford (Class of 88) at email@example.com